Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chapter 1 Isang Handaan (The Script)

* Captain Tiyago’s party
DAMASO: Those wretched Indios! They’re not grateful for the 20 years I’ve rendered them. No one even cared when I departed San Diego. Those Indio Ignoramuses!
GUEST 1: Father Damaso! The owner of this house is an Indio. He might take it all personally!
DAMASO: Hmph! That self-denial scum! Captain Tiyago has always denied being an Indio.
[Guevarra interrupts]
GUEVARRA: He never did such a---!
[Captain Tiyago looking ecstatic, apparently not noticing the argument]
TIYAGO: Hola Amigos! Let me introduce you to the son of my late friend, Crisostomo Ibarra. He has just come back from Europe.
C. IBARRA: It is my honour to meet you all...and there is Father Damaso---the closest priest friend of my father. (extending his hand to damaso)
DAMASO: I am indeed Father Damaso, you are not mistaken, but I had never been friends with your father. (pushing Ibarra’s hand away)
[Lieutenant Guevarra tried to save Ibarra from shame.]
GUEVARRA: Oh, so you are the son of Don Rafael Ibarra?
C. IBARRA: Yes, Mr. Guevarra.
GUEVARRA: Your father is truly a great example. I pray that you would even be better than him.
C. IBARRA: [felt flattered] Thank you Mister, You saved me from my embarrassment.
GUEVARRA: I was just telling the truth Ibarra.
[Lt. Guevarra leaves]
[Mr. Laruja interrupts]
MR. LARUJA: Are you the one who came back from Europe?
C. IBARRA: Yes. I am Mr. Ibarra, and you are?
MR. LARUJA: Mr. Laruja.
MR. LARUJA: You’ve been traveling from different countries for a long time. Are you not forgetting your own country?
C. IBARRA: Yes, Mr. Laruja. I’ve been traveling to different countries but my heart always remains here.
MR. LARUJA: Is that true?
IBARRA: My country might forget me but it would always remain in my heart.
MR. LARUJA: Where in Europe do you think has the best sight?
C. IBARRA: After I study about one place, I no longer mind about its value. My country is the best place for me.
[Damaso interrupting]
DAMASO: Is that so?
C. IBARRA: Didn’t you hear what I say Father Damaso?!
DAMASO: You just waste your time traveling. You’re stupid!
C. IBARRA: If you’ll excuse me, I will go home now because I need to do a lot of things.
MR. LARUJA: But you and Maria Clara have not yet even seen each other!
C. IBARRA: I shall just come back here tomorrow to meet her.
[Ibarra leaves]
DAMASO: Sometimes, sending children to study in Europe is an unwise decision.
*While Ibarra is walking outside…
LT. GUEVARRA: Just be careful.
IBARRA: Huh? Me?
GUEVARRA: Yes, you. (removes the cap)
IBARRA: Oh! Lieutenant! Why?
GUEVARRA: I just want you to be careful out there.
IBARRA: Be careful to what? I do not have enemies.
GUEVARRA: Sometimes, trusting others too much can lead you to trouble. Like Don Rafael…he didn’t know he had an enemy until he died in the prison.
IBARRA: But why did they imprison my father? What did he do wrong?
GUEVARRA: Your father is a kind man, but kindness will not shield you from the people’s bad intentions. Just ask Captain Tiyago about the whole story. I need to go back to the headquarters as soon as possible. (holding the shoulder of Ibarra)
[Lt. Guevarra leaves]
IBARRA: It is only now that I knew the truth about my father. (sad)
*House of Captain Tiyago
[Clara waiting for Ibarra]
CLARA: It’s already late. Why is he not yet here?
[Ibarra knocking]
CLARA: Come in.
[Ibarra entered]
[having glances to each other, then Ibarra making Clara laugh]
IBARRA: I’m so lucky that we already have the blessings of our parents. Not every man can have a beautiful woman like you.
CLARA: You are much sweeter when you came back. How many women had you gone out with?
IBARRA: (smiled) I already have you and it’s too much enough.
CLARA: You must be kidding. Can you stand without even looking to any beautiful ladies there?
IBARRA: Beauty does not exist only within a person, but also to the beholder. In the heart of my hearts you are the only one.
CLARA: [changing the topic] Would you like to have some coffee?
IBARRA: No, I just dropped by to see you. I have to be going. Tomorrow’s the All Soul’s day and I have to return to San Diego to visit my father’s grave.
CLARA: I understand.
[Ibarra leaves]
: Lord, may you watch over Ibarra.
[Aunt Isabel approaches]
AUNT ISABEL: Clara, we have to go to the beaterio.
CLARA: But why?
AUNT ISABEL: We need to get your things.
CLARA: Okay, I’ll just get some things.
[Clara gets her things while Aunt Isabel waits]
CLARA: Let’s go now
[Clara and Aunt Isabel leaves]
*house of Salvi
>Ibarra will enter the house
SALVI: What can I do for you?
IBARRA: Father Salvi, I am here to ask something.
SALVI: What's that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment